SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sail time from Boston to Dartmouth
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Re: Sail time from Boston to Dartmouth

Sounds fun!

I have done Scituate to S. Dartmouth in a easy day. We left around 8 AM and got to S. Dartmouth by 3:00. Higham adds about another 2 hour+ depending on where you are in Hingham (Bay).

The key to the trip is getting through the canal without bucking the current. You need to consult the Eldrich tables. Go through +/- 1h or less of slack tide. Time it so that you arrive at the Sandwich side just before the tide turns. Get there too early, just wait a few minutes in the Sandwich marina just at the entrance to the canal. The current can max around 6 kts. Be on the wrong side of it, it will be tough ride. Ride it through and you'l be pushing near 9kts SOG. The total canal length is ~8 miles.

You need to have your motor on through the canal transit. You can have sails up, but if the wind is in the SW-W direction, the sails are useless. Most folks drop there sails when going through the canal.

Once the through the canal near Onset, the current is still strong and if there is a SW-W breeze it can get real choppy. Once more into Buzzard's Bay, it's about 2.5 h at 6 kts to the entrance to South Dartmouth.

It will be cold in April, so dress warmly.

Last edited by DrB; 03-22-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook