SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter Storage Covers
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Winter Storage Covers

I use the heavy, silver poly tarps. One is long enough to cover the aft end from the mast to over the rail and the other the bows. A straight 2X4 lashed to the boom to a prop astern and the same along the centerline to the pulpit. The tarps are just wide enough to make it to the toe rail or a little bit more. A friend put me on to the use of those yellow button type attachment point usually found at Harbor Freight. Just snap together wherever ya need a tie point and there ya go! . Inexpensive 1/4" nylon to tie to a bridle surrounding the keel and a few cheap ratchet straps to support like rafters from one side, over the boom/2X to the other. I simply draw the tarps around the mast and tie off so they lap enough to keep [most of the] water out.

This was the first winter for me; buy my buddy gets three or four years out of his tarps. For approx. $100, I get three years protection vs as much as $1000/yr to shrink wrap (estimate based on per foot cost for other boats polled). The blue poly tarps are not worth the trouble/cost as tey do not last a full season. Other than one or two hi-end PBs at my yard, I'm the only one covered. A sad state of brightwork and gel-coat abounds!

There's a certain pleasure associated with the Grand Spring uncovering.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bjwkhyamw...dnld%20192.jpg

Last edited by deltaten; 03-22-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook