SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lazy Jacks: Lov'em or Leave'em?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Lazy Jacks: Lov'em or Leave'em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I have then and love them. Although our 50 have a "tradewids mast" that is shorter than the taller version, I find the main to be rather large. Having lazy jacks makes it easy to lower the large main. (And with just one zipper I have the main covered and away from the sun.) Being easier also means I'm more likely to take her out for a short sail. Finally, whether I single hand (not yet, boat is still pretty new-to-me) or not, one person can secure the main, quite easily.

The only downside is you really have to be pointing into the wind when raising the main, or else our battens catch on the lazy jacks. This is not really a problem when there's another crew member on board to turn her up at the right moment, when starting from a mooring, or when using the autopilot and engine to hold her into the wind. (I'll have to experiment with doing this single handed.)

Bottom line, love our lazy jacks.

A few years later now and I still love our lazy jacks. Much of my sailing is solo and it makes it very eazy to go for a sail. If I'm not sailing off the hook, I can bring the lines forward.

The stack pack is wonderful. Zip and I'm done. The sail is protected from the sun.

Regards,
Brad

P.S. The electric windlass with chain rode also adds a great deal. I can anchor right from the cockpit. And I can raise anchor right from the cockpit. With a nylon rode, I'd have to be forward coiling it, which would be a pain. I've anchored, powered back and found that the CQR didn't set, raised the anchor, motored forward, dropped anchor again and set it -- all within a few minutes and all from the cockpit.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook