SailNet Community - View Single Post - AGM batteries
Thread: AGM batteries
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: AGM batteries

Chef & Maine, you guys really make this forum the best, thank you! Yet another interesting topic.

Once the admiral and I finally cast off our lines I was planning to replace all the wet cells with AGM's. I have been following AGM for a number of years and while hearing all sorts of positive remarks, occasionally I would hear about the consistent need of equalizing the batteries. It seemed anytime Lifeline received an issue from a customer their response was, equalize. I did make sure my regulators for my 100amp charger and 210 Balmar supported equalization. But more recently I have been put off by this idea. What am I to do when laying off of Dominica with my AGM's in need of an equalization treatment? I have felt recently that I need to re-examine this approach. This thread pushed me over the edge.

While looking at the Rolls website the other day they noted their AGM's do not need equalization ever. WTF? They note the use of Pure Lead which gets into the new Marketization term of "TPPL" (thin plate pure lead). Is this the resolution to this AGM issue? Or yet another marketing ploy to lead me astray. This is very frustrating trying to get past all the BS.

With a use budget of 200-250 amps per day, (2) D400's and a 10amp solar panel and the above mentioned charger/alternator which way should I go? I was thinking a 600a/h house system. We are not dock marina people, laying on anchor is what we prefer.

Last edited by kellysails; 03-22-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook