SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurth Transmission not Engaging
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Hurth Transmission not Engaging

Our boat (1980 Allmand 31 with a Universal 5416 diesel) is being moved North by a captain, and he almost has her to the slip where I plan(ned) to take over. Almost. He was within a few miles of the slip and under power when the boat just wasn't moving any more. The engine was running fine, and had run fine for a day and a half, but then suddenly the prop wasn't turning any more. He said he tried shifting the transmission by hand, thinking perhaps the problem was in the linkage somewhere, but that didn't help. He's having her towed (glad I bought TowBoatUS!), and going to be looking at the problem a little more while he's waiting. I thought I'd see if anyone here had any suggestions, too. I don't believe there's any transmission fluid aboard, so he can't just check the level/change the fluid, which will probably be my first task when I get to the boat. Is there anything else he could try? Anyone have any ideas about what might be keeping the transmission from engaging?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook