SailNet Community - View Single Post - Florida Bahamas passage
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013

campuscab is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida Bahamas passage

The guy I bought it from took a 16 over and put it on a reef. He had to fix it over there. He said he still had a good time but learned not to enter at night. He thought at 16 he didn't have to worry. Luckily he had a dinghy and some people helped him out. Good thing he new how to fix boats.
I plan to do everything as safe as possible and I have no problem in holding off to get a good window for weather. I will have two outboards a dinghy,two radios,plenty of fuel,explorer charts, a garmin gps, it has speed and depth, compass now. It sounds overkill but I, would rather have something and not need it. I am planning on taking this all over so I am sure it will get used. I can transfer to other boats also.
I was a bounty hunter for 12 years and LE before that without a scratch because of good planning, training, equipment oh ya and lots of luck.
That is why I am talking here to learn from you guys. Just because I want to do something that has risk does not mean that I am careless. The boat is capable of the trip the test will be me. Lone gull and Black Feathers showed that the boats can handle the ocean. I do not claim to be Robert Crawford but I am not trying to go to Hawaii.
After all the crazy work I have done (I, was one of those guys in black after Katrina) I have no intention of killing myself in a sailboat. I just want to enjoy life a bit and show some of the old timers that drive 40 down the highway you do not need to have half a million to enjoy the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook