SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Aluyacht 480

Since we are talking about Aluminium boats let me present the AY 480, the Italian voyage boat. I don't think it is as well designed as the Allures, even if it is a fixed keel boat, built like a tank.

It is a Zerbinati design and the boat has an interesting story. It started to be a Dudley Dix design, one of those you can buy on internet but they had trouble in making the boat by the plans and they hired Zerbinati to make things operational. In the end they did not liked the boat and asked Zerbinati to make a better one and this is the result.

The boat has a bulbed keel with 2.30m draft and a D/B ratio of 32%. That and a 4.5m beam will give it a huge stability.

I like the power and stability, not much the design. I am waiting for the next generation of aluminium boats, the ones that will have this power and a keel that swings up, with all the ballast on it. I know, it exists already with the Atlantic but the design is a bit too racing looking, the interior is not as good as the one on the Allures and the price is very high. I wonder who among the French builders will be the first to propose such a type of aluminium boat. I bet on Alubat for that. They need to have an innovative product to respond to Boreal and Allures.

The AY 480:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-22-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook