SailNet Community - View Single Post - Someone's giving me an Islander 24'
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Someone's giving me an Islander 24'

Okay, if you're simply going to plow down the ICW all the way home, (as you should) then any structural weakness caused by spongy bulkheads is a non-issue.

But, having said that....

As it stands you are into this boat for nothing, so, if it was me, here's what I would do:
When you get to the boat, grab something pointy and poke at the bottom of the bulheads and around the chainplates. if it's all mostly solid, you can consider stepping the rig.
Now, check the rig- how is the standing rigging? no meathooks, no tang cracks, bad looking swages, etc.? Running rig all present and usable? Good - step the rig.

Check any and all through-hulls for operation, and if they are even remotely suspect, slam a tapered plug in now, and mess with them later at your destination.
Clean it all up and bleach the hell out of it, and spend $50 on paper towels, garbage bags, cleaner and gloves. Yeah, i know, it odesn't need to be clean to sail. You're gonna be onboard for a while. Nothing makes a bad boat feel worse than being surrounded by filth.

Have fun, stay safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook