SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013

KiwiSails is on a distinguished road
Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!

I was looking to buy a boat around July-August but typically when you start looking you find your dream boat (well with some TLC).

I am looking for a boat that will handle both the day or weekend out for the family around the Florida coast and Keys, can cross to the Bahamas, and then with some experience cruise the Carribbean for one or two onboard.

The boat is a 1965 Alberg 30 in the $7-$8k range

The current owner has had for about a year but is selling as a grad student it's a costly hobby, requiring considerable time as he is a non-sailor (ex wife was the sailor). So the sale reason does not point to a "dump and run".

The boat was surveyed a year ago when current owner purchased. And after survey was dry docked where it has sat since (Before you say it yes of course still has wear and tear out of water).

There was no significant issues on the survey, and anything minor noted was all repaired. I read the Survey and all the sections engine, rigging, steering, deck, accommodations, cockpit were all good. And sails (2) were in above average condition. Anything noted which was minor in my view eg. Navigation lights not functioning, etc have been fixed.

The engine was replaced with a Westerbeke 28HP Diesel with 145 hrs on counter. and it was winterized prior to storage and has a new battery. So I am hopeful of a not to problematic engine start on my inspection.

I am going up to inspect and if matches the description and survey then I will be needing to move down to Miami, Florida, post Hurricane Season, as its in an inexpensive marina right now $100/m, and of course insurance etc. Ill most likely do this using the ICW, although if I get a level of comfort on the rigging, mast, sails, equipment, etc I would be tempted to take the coastal route. However this may be exceed my getting back on the bike comfort zone.

Ill go and inspect the boat and I am aware of some of the weak points of the Alberg 30 from various internet sources such as:
a) Check the support under the deck-stepped mast for signs of delamination. Pre-1970 models were of laminated wood, check for signs of cracking.
b) Check forward lower shroud chainplates are not well supported and should be inspected closely for signs of movement or stress.
c) Check the deck for delamination as well as signs of rot in the coring (creaking sounds).
d) On older boats such as this one, the heel fitting on the rudder may be worn.
e) The rudders on these early boats were reported not to be strong enough with the internal reinforcing parting from the fiberglass. This Alberg has a Wooden & Fiberglass reinforced plastic according to survey.

The survey already covered the above areas and found no issues. The only piece that was inconclusive is the inspection of chainplates with the survey stating "No indication was made as to whether the chain plates have been examined. Given the age of the vessel, and the possibility of crevice corrosion in those areas not visible, (particularly in the area of the deck), serious consideration should be given to removing and examining the chain plates for any signs of crevice corrosion at a future maintenance period."

The areas that do require some effort but are not immediate are:

1. Hull Painting - The survey noted "The bottom was closely examined for any deficiencies that might affect the seaworthiness of the vessel. It .was then percussion sounded for delamination, observed for blistering. Neither blistering nor delamination was observed. However, several areas were noted in which the undercoat of bottom paint was sloughing off. This typically an indication of a failure in the adhesion of paint layers, usually a result of too many layers. Ultimately, all layers will have to be removed to the barrier coat, and a fresh coat of bottom paint applied. The interior of the hull was then observed, where accessible, for structural deficiencies. Bulkheads and frames were examined for delamination and inspected for decay or detached bonding. All were found in good order."

I should state that the current paint job (at least in photos) looks decent, so I don't think this is an immediate need.

2. Teak Restoration - the boat has some nice Teak in and out but it requires some restoration. I have done this work before and would handle this myself.

3. General Clean and Polish inside and out.

4. Rigging was in survey listed as "However, it was not determined when the standing rigging was last replaced. Normally ten to fifteen years is considered as an adequate lifespan. But that is merely a rule of thumb, and, under prudent circumstances, the rigging could extend beyond fifteen years. That however, requires careful vigilance on the part of the owner. If the vessel is to be taken to open waters, very careful consideration should be given to the replacement of all standing rigging as a matter of course"

So questions:

1. Price seems good in comparison to many Alberg 30's as most I have seen are in the $15k-$25k range.

2. Chugging down the ICW for 20+ days seems a little long. But I think any other options would be expensive and after all a boat is meant to be sailed (or chugged) in this case. I don't think a draft of 4'3" ft will be too much of any issue from what I have seen online, however having never done the trip does anyone see any issues. Other than of course the pre-launch checks for a boat sitting for a year.

3. Any other issues with early Alberg 30's I need to be aware of before I inspect.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook