SailNet Community - View Single Post - Send packing the stuffing gland..
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Send packing the stuffing gland..

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
The instructions for installation have two configurations: for low speed boats, and for high speed boats. As much as we would like to think differently on race days, our sailboats are low speed boats. For high speed boats, the "T" off the engine is recommended so the water is not siphoned out of the bellows during high speed. For low speed boats, there are no connections to the raw water system for the engine, only a hose that connects to the bellows. This hose is filled with raw water by gravity up to the waterline of the boat. I installed a clear tube so I can see the water level. I "burped" the bellows after splashing the boat and the water level has remained there since.

Instructions here: PSS Shaft Seal
Yeah, I know. The system came with boat. All I'm pointing out is that the shaft seal could allow water into the boat. In my case, it allowed water into the engine because the factory did not set it up correctly. If set up as a vent hose as the manufacturer suggests for sailboats, it could allow for water in the boat if not done properly or if the vent hose fails for some reason.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook