SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising vs. Voyaging
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising vs. Voyaging

I agree that there aren't hard definitions / boundries for the two words, but just for fun I'll tell you what thoughts they bring to mind for me...

For me, cruising isn't about the length of time, but the type of journey. Cruising to me is about exploring, going to one area, checking it out, then moving on to another when your ready. Cruising could be a week, a month, a year or an indefinite amount of time.

To me, a voyage is a longer trip, made in one go that could be a part of cruising, or something else all together. For instance, you could cruise down the Mexico coast for a while, stopping in little towns and quite coves, then make a voyage to Hawaii, then cruise Hawaii for a while.

A voyage doesn't need to be off shore to me, if I left the pacific north west for Mexico and got there in a week or two, I would likely call that a voyage, as it would be mostly travel and pushing to get there. The same trip over a month or two would be more on the cruising side to me.

Again, these aren't hard rules, just what images come to my mind for these words. It was kinda fun to think about, thanks for that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook