SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

FYI, I have postponed my Defender order because I may need more bottom paint. (It took more to coat my boat today than I expected. Need to wait and see how the second coat goes on tommorrow.)

So I have some more time to mull over harness/tether decisions. I've gotten some great advice here on what to get and how to deploy it, so keep the suggestions coming. Obviously some of the suggestions contradict others, so I can't follow all of them. But I can combine suggestions into a hybrid approach that fits my boat. For example, right now I think I'm going to get a dual tether and run dual jacklines down the sides of the boat. If I have to work near the mast, I'll clip the 6' end onto the jackline to windward while I go forward, and the 3' tether to the base of the mast once I get there. If I need to work near the bow, I'll clip the 3' end to the windward jackline, and the 6' tether to the mast, unless I need to go all the way to the pulpit which is 9' from the mast, so there I'd need to use just jacklines.

In addition to buying a top-quality tether, I may build my own that's shoter than 3' for specialized needs.

I also tried to call about the MTAM safety course, but it conflicts with my planned launch date and with a commitment my wife has (I want us to be trained as a team), so I may have to wait until next year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook