SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013

KiwiSails is on a distinguished road
Re: Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!

Appreciate the feedback. I posted the 30+ pictures at KiwiSails.shutterfly.com/pictures

Just responding to the comments:

1. Krisskross - yep good idea ill keep that in mind, and easy does it is the motto.

2. Faster - they are not large but I have this feeling my (lovely but land loving) wife will not be sailing that much, so space for one is fine, and two for short periods. I doubt this is a comfortable live aboard for extended durations, although yes I am a bit soft. Yes need to keep objective...hence getting some input from you good people. I have not heard any close quarters issues however I would not expect this boat to be fast and nimble. It's slow and sturdy for me.

3. SailorDave - was not planning on competition its a thought though to consider for fun. I know there is a fairy active Chesapeake A30 association that has races as well. I know its a well handicapped boat, its really my motorcycle choices - I am on the Harley Road King feet up and smiling vs say, my son, who laps me 4 times on his R6 rocket with bugs on his teeth.
4. Blowinstink - awesome response, Thanks. I contacted a few surveyors they want $19/ft so ~$600 plus tax. I agree it may be worth it, I'll keep looking for someone cheaper. I am reading Don Casey's books again, that should help on inspecting the aging boat, and this old boat. On moisture meters I hear that they are unreliable, the last survey came back with good results, but I was unsure how much stock I should put in the results.

On your questions. The owner before the non-sailor had the engine put in. The non-sailor owner has done only very minor work to date. I posted some pics, I am familiar with auto engines, not marine. The engine (I posted some photos) is a little odd, I would have expected more of a new look. Plus it clearly looks like its been painted westerbeke red. The engine plate is visible and its a Mitsi block, but I believe that's just the partner with westerbeke....however marine engines I have zeo experience. ANY THOUGHTS ON THE PICS?

The veneer is a mixed bag, a few areas as you can see will require easier effort, although laborious, like the cockpit coamings...however there are a few pieces like the hatch that will require some real attention. The photos make it clearer.

Ill follow your advice on the Book of Sin, I have considered the same thought of pay more-buy done vs buy cheap-DIY+. Ill go through and add it up, and check its still sane.

Anyway appreciate the input...and NO have not told the wife yet I am in deal stage, she knows I am looking of course, but like me she was thinking 4-6 months, so I don't think buying her dinner will cut it but cheers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook