SailNet Community - View Single Post - Send packing the stuffing gland..
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Send packing the stuffing gland..

We've got a PSS -- it was there when we bought the boat, and there's no record of when it was installed. But I think I'm safe in assuming that it's at least 15 years old.

Right now, it's sitting in a shoebox in my garage. When I get the engine and prop shaft reinstalled, the PSS will be going back on. That said, I will replace the rubber bits and the grub screws. They still look to be in OK shape, but it seems prudent to replace them while I've got it all off the boat now.

After getting it apart, I saw that there's no way I'll ever generate enough wear on the graphite seal for that to become a worry.

I did find a little bit of pitting on the face of the s/s rotor. I've still got to lap the face back to a mirror finish, but that's gonna have to wait for a while yet.

Another prudent step (as MaineSail recommends) is adding a shaft collar immediately forward of the s/s rotor as an added safety measure in case the grub screws lose their grip on the shaft.

About the O-rings -- the only time they move on the shaft is during installation. After that they simply sit there stationary to keep the water out, i.e. the shaft does not rotate in relation to the O-rings. The only wear in the assembly is between the s/s rotor and the graphite donut.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39

Last edited by PorFin; 03-22-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook