SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

Guess I see this differently.
1. When single or with crew 95+% of the time boat is balanced and trimmed(goes faster- less work steering) and is on autopilot (or vane on prior boats) . Steer only getting in and out of harbors and in traffic
2. Therefore issue is to
A.not to fall off the boat or
B. be able to self rescue.

Boat is 13 1/2 feet accross. go up wind ward side if going to bow. Use second arm of tether to go under bow pulpit and then over,then back down to jack line.or use bow cleat. leave short arm attached to windward. Realize can go over to wind which is why use short arm. Measurements show if go over lifelines allows self rescue easily under will be a bit of work but do-able with adrenaline running.
If going to leeward - one arm to mast pulpit or housetop handholds other to jackline. Try to have tethers tight pulling on me while working. Little or no distance to fall. stable can use both hands.

In big seas not above crawling with one hand on handrails on house other on lower lifeline or the jackline.

Have had to time my breathing when working at bow as seas go over and I float off the deck. Have leaned on tension of tethers while working to leeward. Tethers keep me on the boat.

Everone should rig the jacklines and go through the senerio at all places on the deck as to what would happen on their boat if they fell to the right or left- forward or backward. Adjust as necessary for YOUR BOAT.

Have knives but think they are usually not going to be much help. Can't image swimming after a boat going 8-10Kts. or even 3-4Kts. is going to be much help. Strobe is worthless offshore by yourself. Staying on the boat seems a better and better idea. Getting dragged behind the boat by any kind of line seems like just a faster way to drown.

Would NEVER get a pdf wth a pill. Risk of accidental inflation too high.

Just my thoughts. Bow to superior intelligence and experience.

P.S. think the stress marker a good idea. Have had it pulled out and only noticed after the cruise was over.