SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
Re: Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiSails View Post
The owner before the non-sailor had the engine put in. The non-sailor owner has done only very minor work to date. I posted some pics, I am familiar with auto engines, not marine. The engine (I posted some photos) is a little odd, I would have expected more of a new look. Plus it clearly looks like its been painted westerbeke red. The engine plate is visible and its a Mitsi block, but I believe that's just the partner with westerbeke....however marine engines I have zeo experience. .
Westerbeke simply "marinized" Mitsubishi engines. Many folks with Westerbekes buy any of the non-marinized parts they need from tractor supply houses as they then pay 1/3 the price they'd pay from Westerbeke. If you like the boat and the survey comes back ok you should consider paying a mechanic to go over then engine. The surveyor usually only gives a cursory examination of the engine...e.g., does it run, blow smoke, etc. You'll learn A LOT more from a mechanic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook