SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!

If you can get up to $12K . . . lots and lots of boats open up including (if you hunt) some very well kept Cape Dory 27's and 28's that are Alberg designs with better finishes, newer systems and a hell of a lot less miles on them. Check the f/s section of the bulletin boards on capedory.org Many other models too. Your sweetie might really appreciate some nice finishes!

Some unexpectedly large money eaters not to be overlooked:
-roller furling
-running rigging
-dodger / bimini
-dink / motor
-self-tailing winches
-cushions
-ground tackle / windlasses
-self steering
-pumps . . . and on and on

Decent electronics are actually cheaper than ever and easier to install

Obviously the engine isn't new 145hrs ago. Ask for receipts to get a feel for the quality of the work done to it. The spray paint job looks pretty shoddy.

Just read your comments above about the deck moisture levels. That is the sort of stuff which would chase me off to a newer model for a couple grand more. I wouldn't even look back. Maybe if the readings are TOTALLY localized (so that you could remove the fittings and clear and refill the core from the penetration) but I don't know how you'd know that without further moisture readings -- and the "entire rear deck" comment seems to suggest otherwise (check the cockpit floor to -- another weak spot).

Last edited by blowinstink; 03-23-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: read more comments
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook