SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiSails View Post

In this case expect assuming the survey assessment holds (from a year ago) then there are a few areas requiring review as noted from the survey....see extract for the review of the Deck...."The deck and coach roof were examined for deficiencies, as were the stanchions and lifelines. They were then percussion sounded for delamination as well as measured for excessive moisture with a Skipper TRAMEX moisture meter. Overall, the decks were sound with no signs of soft spots, major cracks, crazing or other irregularities noted, with the following exceptions; at the bow, the area adjacent to the port anchor line hawse hole measured inflated moisture values. Additional inflated moisture values were noted adjacent to the waste pump out, the port water fill, and fuel fill deck plates, and the entire aft deck. The cause of the high moisture is attributable to moisture intrusion from failed bedding. However, this phenomenon has occurred over a period of forty - eight years, with no apparent effects to the integrity of the overall structure. Accordingly, consideration should be given to re- bedding all through deck penetrations associated with these areas at a future maintenance period. Thereafter, it is suggested that deck rigidity is constantly monitored, with any indication of significant flexing within the deck, a sign of the need for repair. All stanchions and lifelines were sound."

As for the Hull the survey noted the following which did not concern me...."The bottom was closely examined for any deficiencies that might affect the seaworthiness of the vessel. It .was then percussion sounded for delamination, observed for blistering. Neither blistering nor delamination was observed. However, several areas were noted in which the undercoat of bottom paint was sloughing off. This typically an indication of a failure in the adhesion of paint layers, usually a result of too many layers. Ultimately, all layers will have to be removed to the barrier coat, and a fresh coat of bottom paint applied. The interior of the hull was then observed, where accessible, for structural deficiencies. Bulkheads and frames were examined for delamination and inspected for decay or detached bonding. All were found in good order."

Overall this was not bad in my view considering the boat is a few years older than me. Of course assumption here is that winter has been kind for the past 12 months while the boat has been stored.
Dude, you are starting to suffer from analysis paralysis. You have gotten so much input that you have defaulted to "I'll wait and save and hope a better boat comes along later."
With all due respect to other posters here, they have pointed you to boats 50% more expensive, that aren't 50% better, and are 100% beyond your budget.
yeah, this boat needs cosmetics, but the survey certainly didn't point to any deal breaking issues as noted above. any elevated moisture levels are localized and logical- through-hulls and ONE hawse hole.
That, my friend, is a pretty damn sound hull. The big indicatiors of big issues are soft spots around stanchion bases, lights, hatches and mast step.
this boat has none of that.
And has a low hours diesel.
at under $9k.I'm not sure how a boat with an odler engine, sight unseen at 12k more is a better deal, as has been asserted here.
Shiny brightwork should not be a deal maker, and flaking brightwork is not necessarily a dealBREAKER...as the survey has pointed out.
this boat is fundamentally solid, with some sanding refinishing and simple wood replacement- not big money, and not hugely time consuming, and, most importantly, not detrimental to the operation of the vessel. you can sand and varnish and rebuild hatches as you go and a) it is something every skipper shoudl know how to do, and b) it sure ain't worth thousands.

Look, you can wait forever for the perfect boat to come along, and frankly, until you have a boat under your belt , you won't know it when you see it. in the meantime, i bet this Alberg might be the right boat for you right now, and could very well prove to be the right boat for a very long time. if you truly aren't interested, lease pass on the contact info, because I know at least a half dozen sailors who would be all over a boat like this.

Time and tide waits for no man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook