SailNet Community - View Single Post - Baby PFD recommendations
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Baby PFD recommendations

My son wore an infant life preserver (Lil Mustang style big flotation collar) with a harness underneath. He is always in a harness and a PFD on the dock and getting on and off the boat, from the time he gets out of the minivan. In really hot weather, once he is on the boat and his tether is attached, we remove the PFD so he is comfortable and safely attached to the boat.

There have always been 2 concern areas for me: (1) boarding the boat, including walking down the dock, and (2) safety underway.

My son is now taking AquaTots safety oriented swim lessons every week in a warm, indoor pool. AquaTots teaches kids self-rescue swimming techniques. I was with him in the pool when he first started, until the instructor advanced him to a no parents class. I would be hesitant to keep him strapped in a car seat, particularly when boarding the boat, because some infants do have an instinctive ability to surface and float on their backs. Check out the YouTube infant swimming videos if you have any doubts. I would not want to interfere with the possibility of this self-rescue ability saving him from drowning as a result of a fall off the dock. I am fairly certain his car seat would sink or suspend him upside down in the water.

Like all parents, I would gladly sacrifice my life to save my son. If he ever went in the water, I would be there right next to him, no matter what.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 03-23-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook