SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

I finally watched it. The only thing that bugs me is them havin the kid "help" like grandpa is teaching him how to dock- because that is not how it's done. That and not having any sails on the boat.

I run into old people all the time- not o the 1000's of ocean miles curmudgeon school- who simply can't handle their boat. They worked there ass off to retire and go cruising- and found out- oh hey- I'm just not as physically capable of all this as I thought I would be.

So they do things like use only one anchor when they need two- because only one is on a windless. And they end up grounded with rudder fairin snapped off and quadrant broken- so when they do start floating again- all they can do is call for help.

They jam there sails in there booms and masts. (I probably would too- but it's hard to do with jiffy reefing)

They get water in their diesel and can't make the motor run, and can't replace the racor seperator.

Ill see more of that every year- all because of stuff like this.

This add is a complete affront. It encourages destroying the foundation of seamanship on which the future of sailing will be built- by poisoning the minds of children with even more shortcuts and easy ways out. And it puts even more relatively helpless old people into boats that they absolutely can not actually handle- because they have the illusion of control provided by yet another "amenity" sadly there will be an entire navy of people out there using it as a crutch rather than an amenity.

Somebody put a tiller in that kids hand for Christ sake.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook