SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fiberglass buildup around rudder stuffing box
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013

sailorgirl31 is on a distinguished road
Fiberglass buildup around rudder stuffing box

Hi Everyone
I recently "finished" the restoration of a 67 Allied Greenwich 24. It is a full keel cast as part of the boat, not bolted on the bottom. The keel is the bilge. I put it in the water for the first time last season. It floated but needed the bilge emptied at least twice a week. I keep in on a mooring not in a slip. Once while sailing downwind in big swells I went down below and there was water 3" above the floorboards. The only through hull fitting are 2 cockpit drains and the rudder post. I thought maybe water was coming through the stuffing box but it only has a slow drip which seems normal. My next idea is that water is coming up through the rudder post fitting and draining into the bilge. Some previous owner must have had this problem too as there's a large built up mound of fiberglass and epoxy around the lower nut of the stuffing box. The question is, what do I do about it? I have attached a couple of pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sailorgirl31; 03-23-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: attach pics
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook