SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice on some options, if you please?
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 03-23-2013 Thread Starter
Re: advice on some options, if you please?

thanks for the comments and information. I have found a vessel, 1963 Pearson Vanguard 33' Beauty for sure.

After more questions, internal and external. I came to realize, its more of a decision of what I want then a decision of my budget or plans for the future or the best mean average of all potentials, not saying these are not part of what I want just not all of it...

I talked to people, read some books, researched some specific boats that felt right fit the feel, comfort, safety, capacity, etc I want.. then looked and researched and came up with a variety of builders, designs, sizes, ratios (righting, beam/displacement, etc. ratios and percents compared to others make sense for me, to get to these numbers I used several resources (Resources For Cruising Sailors, an archived copy of and when they failed actually doing some math love that stuff...) Learning more about the absolutely beautiful system of physics sailing and vessels truly is. Never learned that as a kid... Using all of this I dug back into the search with a much broader understanding of what I want, need, and am capable of/with. And with diligence, a bit of good timing, and this broader understanding of my ranges of needs I ended up stumbling upon a beauty out of the blue, it took a few days for the previous owner to get ahold of me and I was certain she had a home already... not so, timing was perfect... as soon as I stepped on her I knew it was right, after that it was just a matter of inspecting everything for hours with attention to details and some humble understanding of my current abilities and the cost to pay others for the needs/problems presenting themselves. Yes I may have made a classic mistake but, I did not get a pre-purchase survey. I am going with surveys of the specific systems and a uscg safety survey but feel I did a very solid job of interaction with the owner, who was for all accounts very blunt and honest about the issues, and a very specific inspections of the things known to be issues with the design and years... we shall see but at the moment I am very content and excited for the future. lots to do..

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome