SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice on some options, if you please?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013

slax is on a distinguished road
Re: advice on some options, if you please?

thanks for the comments and information. I have found a vessel, 1963 Pearson Vanguard 33' Beauty for sure.

After more questions, internal and external. I came to realize, its more of a decision of what I want then a decision of my budget or plans for the future or the best mean average of all potentials, not saying these are not part of what I want just not all of it...

I talked to people, read some books, researched some specific boats that felt right fit the feel, comfort, safety, capacity, etc I want.. then looked and researched and came up with a variety of builders, designs, sizes, ratios (righting, beam/displacement, etc. ratios and percents compared to others make sense for me, to get to these numbers I used several resources (Resources For Cruising Sailors, an archived copy of http://johnsboatstuff.com and when they failed actually doing some math love that stuff...) Learning more about the absolutely beautiful system of physics sailing and vessels truly is. Never learned that as a kid... Using all of this I dug back into the search with a much broader understanding of what I want, need, and am capable of/with. And with diligence, a bit of good timing, and this broader understanding of my ranges of needs I ended up stumbling upon a beauty out of the blue, it took a few days for the previous owner to get ahold of me and I was certain she had a home already... not so, timing was perfect... as soon as I stepped on her I knew it was right, after that it was just a matter of inspecting everything for hours with attention to details and some humble understanding of my current abilities and the cost to pay others for the needs/problems presenting themselves. Yes I may have made a classic mistake but, I did not get a pre-purchase survey. I am going with surveys of the specific systems and a uscg safety survey but feel I did a very solid job of interaction with the owner, who was for all accounts very blunt and honest about the issues, and a very specific inspections of the things known to be issues with the design and years... we shall see but at the moment I am very content and excited for the future. lots to do..

cheers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook