SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice on some options, if you please?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013

slax is on a distinguished road
Re: advice on some options, if you please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Pearson made some rather sturdy boats back then. I happen to like the lines of older boats like that, hence I own a 1967 Tartan 27'.
Completely agree, there is something about the old lines mixed with the new materials that touches me in a way that makes me smile. Like an older woman that can still walk(sail) with the confidence of her youth...

Quote:
Starting with the inboard engine:
- shaft, strut, Cutless bearing and shaft log hose may all need replacing
interestingly enough there was an engine mechanic working on a diesel motor yacht a couple slips down this am, I grabbed his card. he works specifically on engines, nothing else.

Quote:
On to the boat:
- mast step may need addressing
- soft decks may need re-coring
- deck fittings will need re-bedding
- old wiring should be considered suspect
- standing rigging likely needs replacing if it is as old as the boat
mast step: seems solid but not a space of expertise will ensure its reviewed in the safety inspection.

soft decks: I have beat, hammered, jumped on every surface of the deck, not to say its 100% but there are no soft spots I can find. again will ensure its looked at.

fittings: same as decks, no stress cracks and no noticable bend or flex under load, but will put it on the list.

wiring: everything on this end is suspect. Old, mislabeled, misdirected, confused wiring.thinking about replacing the entire harness with a custom rig, have most of the parts and about 600w of panels for a dual charge system anyhow so either way have to tie that in, which requires replacing some stuff

rigging: again will bring it to point, but seems updated since original build. A bit over tight if anything, not sure if this is a bad/good sign at this point but will make sure to ask.
Quote:
Then there are the cosmetic things.

There is always more to attend to.
there sure is..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook