SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice on some options, if you please?
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 03-23-2013 Thread Starter
slax

Re: advice on some options, if you please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Pearson made some rather sturdy boats back then. I happen to like the lines of older boats like that, hence I own a 1967 Tartan 27'.
Completely agree, there is something about the old lines mixed with the new materials that touches me in a way that makes me smile. Like an older woman that can still walk(sail) with the confidence of her youth...

Quote:
Starting with the inboard engine:
- shaft, strut, Cutless bearing and shaft log hose may all need replacing
interestingly enough there was an engine mechanic working on a diesel motor yacht a couple slips down this am, I grabbed his card. he works specifically on engines, nothing else.

Quote:
On to the boat:
- mast step may need addressing
- soft decks may need re-coring
- deck fittings will need re-bedding
- old wiring should be considered suspect
- standing rigging likely needs replacing if it is as old as the boat
mast step: seems solid but not a space of expertise will ensure its reviewed in the safety inspection.

soft decks: I have beat, hammered, jumped on every surface of the deck, not to say its 100% but there are no soft spots I can find. again will ensure its looked at.

fittings: same as decks, no stress cracks and no noticable bend or flex under load, but will put it on the list.

wiring: everything on this end is suspect. Old, mislabeled, misdirected, confused wiring.thinking about replacing the entire harness with a custom rig, have most of the parts and about 600w of panels for a dual charge system anyhow so either way have to tie that in, which requires replacing some stuff

rigging: again will bring it to point, but seems updated since original build. A bit over tight if anything, not sure if this is a bad/good sign at this point but will make sure to ask.
Quote:
Then there are the cosmetic things.

There is always more to attend to.
there sure is..
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome