SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tires as Fenders
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Tires as Fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Bare tires are only fit for workboats at a working dock. They are simply not "yacht" (sniff )

20 years ago my wife came home with an armful of 3 1/2" X 5' solid pool noodles (no hole down the center). As soon as I saw them I realized she had bought them to use as dock edging. They are closed cell foam and cost next to nothing - especially at the end of summer at dollar stores.

I lashed them in place using lengths of old sail ties screwed to the float with stainless screws and fender washers. They worked exceptionally well - if a fender flips up you are still completely protected. If you misjudge and rub the dock - nada.

They will deteriorate from UV - lasted three years here before they started shedding. You have two choices about that - spend $20 every couple of years for new ones or spend a bunch more and make up covers like those sold for fenders. If I could use a sewing machine I'd make covers colour coordinated to the boat but as it was I simply used noodles that were colour coordinated to the boat.

After I implemented her idea we started noticing other people using them in the same way - should have patented the idea.
Pool noodles encased in fire hose would probably last forever. Hmmm.....

I like the golf cart tire idea except for it marking up the hull. As much as I would like to say I don't care about that, I do think that my boat is beautiful and if it's white hull were all marked up all the time, it wouldn't be good.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook