SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
the ICW runs up part of NJ.. till you get to Old Barney. I would suggest against it though.. between the junk in the water from Sandy and the usual maze that is NJ's ICW.. I would go from Cape May to Absecon Inlet, spend the night in AC.. then it is north to Barnegat, spend the night.. then the last good inlet before NY is Point Pleasant.. overall, NJ is shallow with horrible inlets
We do this route every year up and back fromBaltimore to the LI Sound. Up the Chessie to the C&D, then anchor behind Reedy Island or go to Delaware City and wait to leave two hours before high tide. You ride the T,IDE to Cape May. Canal is 55 ht and around the pony is an extra 2 hours .

Only NJ inlets which re safe are Cape May, Absecon ( Atlantic city), and Manesquan. Barneget is ok too but treacherous and need good knowledge.
Avoid all others. ICW from Barneget t o Manesquan has a lot of shoals and bridges so avoid. Distances C&D to Cape May 55, Absecon 35', Barneget 35' , Manesquan 22, Ambrose Channel 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook