SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Volta 12,20

In fact that concept that I was talking about on a previous post, I mean ".. the next generation of aluminium boats, the ones that will have this power (lots of it) and a keel that swings up, with all the ballast on it." exists already but only as a custom boat made by a reputable French shipyard specialized on aluminium boats (it was there that the first two Boreal were built).

The designer is one of the best and most innovative of the new generation of French NA, Pierre Roland with Delion. I have posted already about that boat (the first one is being built) but I guess it deserves another post:

Pierre Rolland says about the boat (translated):

THE VOLTA 12.20 is a fast cruising sailboat cruising with variable draft. Built in aluminum, it has a swing keel.

As a sailboat it is a chameleon: It is a bluewater voyage boat , fast and efficient, efficient and stable thanks to its deep draft and ballasted keel. A
Bird of the open sea that can turn in a perfect coastal cruiser due to its very small draft with the keel up.

The big RM and draft as well as the design makes it an excellent upwind boat, and a very seaworthy boat. The weight gained on ballast by this type of keel as well as the efficient hull allows a very good downwind performance and planning speeds.The keel outside the boat permits a not restricted layout with great living accommodation.

It has an effective and simple rigging. The large well protected cockpit provides an easy access to transom platform. It is protected and ergonomic in navigation while being comfortable at anchor.

It is a solid boat: The aluminum construction ensures high resistance to impact.The front and rear closed bulkheads increases security in case of open water.

It has a bright interior: The panoramic roof brings a lot of clarity in the Galley and saloon. The sea view is very pleasant in anchorage and navigation.
The galley and head are particularly thought in what regards ergonomics for use at anchor and in navigation, an important factor in a living aboard boat.

An easy sailboat: With a reasonable size, the VOLTA 12.20 is easy to maneuver with a small crew, at sea or in port.
Its program is to offer an exciting navigation and comfortable time on anchorage or marina.

The boat weights 8000kg. That is possible due to a ballast of only 2100kg on a keel with 2.60m of draft. I would ask for more 500kg of ballast but as it is the low CG will provide already a big RM (increased by a big beam) and a decent AVS. All in all, a very interesting boat. If my plans included extensive bluewater sailing it would be something like this that I would be looking for. This boat weights less 2.3T than the Allures 39.9 for about the same sail and probably a similar RM. But that is just me that likes to have fun sailing besides liking cruising and voyaging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-24-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook