SailNet Community - View Single Post - Standard Horizon Matrix AIS+ GX2150
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Standard Horizon Matrix AIS+ GX2150

As mentioned previous a Chartplotter radar upgrade for TRUE visibility of moving objects can be accomplished for less than $2000.

Rick, you keep talking abut ships on the Delaware. Where I am located we have a great number of them going into the Port of Baltimore also. Having sailed both bathe Delaware and here I can tell you the amount of commercial traffic here is greater by a factor of 3. Just look at the numer of AIS targets in Marine Traffic. We dont sail in the channel so we don't worry about them as much . We do cross the channel and lalways look both ways. Again 95% of boats are not carrying AIS.

How many ships hit sailboats vs sall pleasure cut hit sailboats? How many sailboats sail off off shore where AIS might be a more usefull application. I contend using an AIS app like Boat Beacon is lots cheaper than an unnecessary $400 VHF which you can buy for $200. All have disc now. The standalone AIS VHF sill requires other equipment. So how much do you spend for something giving little coverage from the actual safety incidents you may encounter. AIS usage without the radar is a waste IMHO. AIS won't identify most commercial fishing vessels you come upon in you boating.

An AIS VHF is like the garnish on the plate. It looks nice, it great to say you have it, however like the garnish is just windw dressing. The meat and potatoes and real meal lies on the rest of the plate. You can't survive on a steady diet of garnish.

Save your money and buy a radar and Chartplotter. Every 2-300 helps. You can get good deals for less than $1000 on e bay and Craig's list as people upgrade taking off perfectly good equipment. Heck I just sold a perfectly good Raymarine radar fr $500.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook