SailNet Community - View Single Post - Standard Horizon Matrix AIS+ GX2150
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Standard Horizon Matrix AIS+ GX2150

To me, it seems like RobGallagher has thought this through, and understands the limitations of the GX2150. I don't mean to speak for him, but IIRC, I believe that Maine Sail has this unit, and loves it. I strongly prefer a transceiver to the GX2150, which is a receive only unit. However, since Rob has thought this through, I suggest that he go ahead and get it.

While I agree that AIS and Radar are a great combination, that will make you safeR, even that combination will not make you immune from allisions with vessels that do not obey the rules, or the various bits of flotsam that I have seen (logs, pilings or telephone poles, floating 55 gallon drums, lobster pots... - and while I have never seen one, I have read numerous reports of containers). Nothing replaces keeping a good watch. Period.

In my case, I don't have the battery banks to support radar operation (or an autopilot) on my vessel, so I would also forgo Radar. I will add an AIS transceiver at some point in time, because it uses a little more power, and provides two way visibility (you guys with the GX2150 will be able to see me, even though you can't see each other).

Each of these technologies provide an incremental aid in avoiding collisions/allisions, and each mariner has to decide if the increase is worth it to him/her. You pays your money, and takes your chances...

Fair winds!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 03-24-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: clarity..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook