SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter Storage Covers
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Winter Storage Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
A heavy, wet snow is a problem for any kind of cover. That said, I have two boats with fitted covers over electrical conduit frames. They were made by a local canvas shop.

The polyester canvas cover is 16 years old and survived the 2' snowfall during the Northeaster blizzard this year. That was the worst snowfall here in southern NE that I've experienced in my long memory with respect to weight and difficulty in removal. My 12-13 yr old cotton canvas (same as used by Fairclough) also survived.

Any replacements will be by--or equivalent to--Fairclough, using the treated cotton canvas. I will make sure the slope on the framework is appropriate to shed most of the precipitation, but you can't prevent the wet snow from accumulating and forming pockets in the canvas, so you need to make sure the framework is up to the task. So far, my conduit frames have held up under some trying circumstances. This system works if executed competently.
See this post; Protecting your Awlgrip topsides in the winter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook