SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
I realize this has been hashed out before; but, after looking at ticket prices for the America cup, it really makes you wonder. It makes NASCAR look good.

Sportsmark

That's just a sample of the America's Cup area. I'm a whole-hearted capitalist and i believe you charge what the market will bear. I wonder sometimes why America can't find talented sailors for the Olympics.
I'm glad i can watch sailing from any vantage point.
I have been on the two last America's cup in Europe and I cannot even remember if I paid anything and if I paid it was so inexpensive that I cannot remember it anymore.

I guess that is the American way to look at it. In Europe in races like the Vor 70 or the Vendee globe you don't pay nothing to go to the race village to see the boats and watch the in-port races, talk to the racers and be part of the action. The money come from elsewhere, from the TV coverage, sponsoring and publicity.

But for that you have to have an huge popular interest that permits returns in publicity from sponsorship and TV coverage.

In US where the sail is a lot less popular they cannot have money that way and it seems there are some from whom sail races are a fashionable jet set event so they make them pay. someone has to pay for it

Sailing as a Sport is only expensive if the racers are amateurs and in that case racing big boats is a millionaires's sport and kind of a funny sport because money is a big part of success. If the racers are professional and are paid to race on the sponsors boats than it is not an elite sport, not more than many others.

Cruising is another story, yes for that you have to have money and that could be considered a kind of elite activity but then cruising is not a sport.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook