SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallySailing View Post
Interesting thoughts. I've not come across anybody on this site here who seems to be too elitist to me . Seriously, though, my Canadian wife always is amazed how much more down to earth many sailors seem to be over here in the UK (her brother's in-laws in Quebec were avid sailors). When I still lived in Germany it also seemed to be much more elitist. I remember trying to contact an "Academic Sailing Association" whilst at university which seemed to be nearly as stiff as some of the very old fashioned student unions. Whilst there is certainly a rich "elite" that sails over here, I've come across old clubs that pride themselves of having a working-men history and background. I wonder if this does also have to do with the fact that sailing is luckily rather unregulated (or non government self-regulated) in the UK. Always thought of boating/sailing as an unwritten right of the inhabitants of these isles. Whilst the RYA is doing a great job educating and setting the background, anybody can buy or build a boat and go out in UK waters at their own peril as long as they don't harm anybody else. No need for a sailing "license" or to register your boat legally.

It's funny you mention that. Friend of mine is from Cologne and knows how to sail. He was telling me the classes and school he attended in Elba to allow him to pilot anything under 20m..

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook