SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Dufour 36 p / Elan 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by getk View Post
hi David, Hi Paulo,

I am considering buying a ELAN350 or a Dufour 36P and your discussion is quite interesting to me.

Questions:

Could you explain me your ratios ? D/L , SA/D, B/D etc ...

More over I would like to find some rating for these boats ( IRC or Club Racing handicap ) so as to see if the (expected) fast boat I will buy give me a chance of winning a Club regatta.
Many thnaks for your inpout!
Hi, welcome to sailnet and to this thread.

The Elan 350 and the Dufour 36p are great boats but also very different boats. Probably the Elan is faster downwind and the Dufour better upwind.

DUFOUR 36P sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

ELAN 350 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Regarding the ratios they are not mine. Have a look:

How Boat Displacement and Sail Area Affect Performance

Sailboat Ratio Information

Regarding ratings probably the best are ORCI ratings but take into consideration that same model boats can have small differences due to different sails and materials:

http://www.wne-yachting.nl/cms/wp-co...ORCi_SWE38.pdf

http://www.avop.org/flota/cert-orc/2013/PER1607.pdf

Take into consideration that the file of that Elan regards one with 2.33m draft and that the one from the Dufour regards one with 2.17m. That will give a proportionally better upwind performance to the Elan but just because the boats have different drafts.

The speeds are very similar but the Elan is a boat that will heel more easily, specially upwind.

The chance of winning club regattas has more to do how the boat can sail to its rating than with the absolute performance of the boat. To know about that you will not find it through the boat rating but in what regards the number of races the boat is winning. In that respect is to early to know how the 36p will perform but the idea I have is that the Elan, even if a great performance cruising boat and a fast boat, is not specially good in what regards sailing to its ratio.

Maybe you should consider also a Salona. Those can sail to their ratios and have been winning races.

Start to look at the results on major ORC and IRC races. that will give you a clue about winning boats. As I have said, that has not necessarily to do with absolute boat performance but generally a winning boat is a fast boat. To see how fast it really is look for the times in real time since victories and the classification are given in compensated time.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-24-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook