SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edguy3 View Post
Also, your 7' draft is a bit extreme for the NJ ICW. Avoid both of those routes.
That's putting it mildly... (grin) No way should any portion of NJ's ICW be considered with a 7' draft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edguy3 View Post
I've started searching the notice to mariners and active captain for issues that would impact the trip via the outside with inlet stops. I read an article about a coast guard vessel grounding on a Volvo in the Barnegat bay.
I've also found these issues:
  • (Manasquan) "Following Superstorm Sandy, the entire NJ Coast has been reported to have debris floating from the shore out. Many houses were swept out to sea and a lot of the roofs and structural parts are still out there."
  • (Manasquan) Missing marker by coast guard station
  • (barnegat)Shoaling at the inlet entrance.
  • (barnegat)Missing markers further along the inlet.
I believe the issue with debris off the Jersey coast was vastly overstated right from the get-go... Virtually all of the debris was carried into the back bays during the initial storm surge, there was never another tide remotely close to the height of the surge that could have carried much debris back over the barrier beaches... I did 3 trips down the coast in the few weeks following Sandy, and never saw anything of significance, nothing remotely close to what was off SC in the aftermath of Hugo, for example... the inland waters, whole different ballgame, of course - they will be pretty risky for quite some time...

Of the 4 major NJ inlets, I also think Barnegat is the only one likely to have been significantly affected, but only thru the Oyster Creek Channel... Nothing has changed at Manasquan beyond some minor damage to the docks at the Brielle YC and Marine Basin, I doubt much changed at AC, and Cape May was virtually unaffected, as were the shoals off-lying Cape May Point...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook