SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?

I know where you mean. I am assuming the little creek after the red two. It was 4.5 ft at mid tide three years ago when we slowly tried to feel our way in there. We gave up, went back out the inlet and sailed up to Atlantic Highlands in the dark about 10. PM. We like anchoring or picking up a mooring there. Great jump off spot waiting for he right tide/current to ride in hero ugh NY Harbor and up the East River through Hell Gate and into the LI Sound. We occasionally have stayed at Liberty Landing if we want to splurge. Great view of Manhattan nice restaurant, water taxi in the marina to close to the Battery area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
I don't know about making it with a 7' draft, but when I stopped in Manasquan I anchored in a neat little spot out of the inlet and hence safe from the nasty current. Not far into the inlet was a marked channel, probably 1/2 mile, to a bascule bridge that then opened into a neat little harbor with good holding...

No idea if you could squeeze down there with such a large draft or whether it got slammed by the storm, but it was a great option as it was out of the way of the commericial fleet and out of the current... Maybe chef2sail has more accurate and up to date info..

On my trip, as a total newb sailing solo, I steered way clear of Barnegat, but I had no problem with Cape May, Abesecon, and Manesquan. All were well marked, all offered good anchorage options, and easy peasy on the way in and out as long as you watched the tide and wind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook