SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

C.Breeze I'm one of those who "worked my ass off to retire". Maybe I'm not as physically able- I know my endurance sucks and my joints aren't too great either. But I've managed to go to Bermuda (won once) several times ( did it with celestial once too) and from N.E. to the Carribean a few times and have been through a number of storms. What I see more often then infirm elderly are arrogant youth who have yet to gain the humility and wisdom that comes with age.Last summer came in on the launch with a couple in their 80's. They needed help getting in and alot of help getting their kit off their boat into the launch as well. They had big smiles as they just came back from a two week cruise. Wife was on me as it took 3 passes for them to pick up their mooring. Watched closely and was ready to help but they did it themselves. ?Isn't that what it's about? They made everyone on the launch smile and it was a great day to be alive.
Suspect over 35+yrs. I have owned a few more boats than you have children. My new boat is the first I will have that has power winches and a bow thruster. Something new to learn.
Find your comment age-ist and an expression of your own inadequacies. Plase keep your hateful thoughts to your self. Would appreciate further comments about running rigging brought aft as my crippled old knees and fat gut make it difficult to go forward in a blow.
People of all ages learn from experience and being taught.Doesn't matter if they get it at 30 or 60. If you are skilled perhaps you can put joy in this world by sharing your skills not your insults.Show them how to use the Racor, explain about anchoring and snubbing etc.
They are putting Z drives on ships now too. Guess their Masters don't know any seamanship either. Lighten up - It's an ad. ?Think the kid was his son not his grandson. (GRIN)

Last edited by outbound; 03-24-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook