SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

Well, soloing I tend to use every trick I can to stay on board. However, like some here, I'm not entirely sold on running everything aft to the cockpit. I will be up front when things go wrong anyway, so might as well get the practice all along. I do use my mind when I'm sailing, I have never had a tether arrest a fall of mine, yet I sail in bad weather.

Besides, this is not "the mags". This is Sailnet. In a thread asking about tethers and which spawned quite a lot of varying solutions to a specific problem. Rather than continuing to think of workable solutions, the mere thought of harnesses and tethers was belittled, and regardless of what you, JonE, (now) say, it had the result of belittling even thinking about simple safety and direct focus to how you move about instead. Not as something to complement actually being tied to the thing you want to stay on, but removing focus from that to that of "mind over matter".

Of course, your post wouldn't have seemed so bad in a vacuum, but after the "Pfft, safety" brigade coming out, and you using several of the same terms, it seemed like yet another comment to dissuade the OP and people in general to do what they can to keep alive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook