SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter Storage Covers
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter Storage Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
The issue with the cloth covers in the North East USA, is that snow can accumulate on them, and lead to other issues. Last year in the North East it would not have been a problem, however this year it would have been.

I reluctantly shelled out the $1250 (this year) to marina, to have it done. Next year, if I can't convince the wife to spend the winter in Florida, I will probably use the silver tarp method described above.

If my boat were anyware south of where more than 6" of snow can fall, I would invest in a Fairclough cover.
I have a Fairclough cover and it has handled every snowstorm the Northeast has thrown at it for the last 4 years without any problem, and it still looks like new. This has included some massive and heavy snowstorms, including the "snowmageddon" storm and several plus-12 inch storms. They are expensive and a fair bit of work to put up and take down, and for service they are a pain to deal with, but the covers are very, very solid and handle snow no problem. Mine is a full cover -- I would think the boom tent style ones would not handle the snow so well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook