SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?

BubbleheadMd can you please clarify this statement, just not sure how to read into it.
Quote:
A friend of mine recently commented "Sailing is illegal in the United States."
I seem to have brought out the best in people with this thread.

My experience has been similar to most of the views expressed. I started at a small yacht club and no one there seemed to have any money. That was 30 yrs ago. At the time i thought a 22 foot Catalina was a big boat.
Now that i am back into sailing (last 4 yrs) i am older and i do see some separation between groups. It seems to be between the ones with newer boats and the older boats. By no means an absolute. I have found most sailors to be very down to earth and helpful. It's almost a creed. Need help go up your mast; someone is there to help. Engine trouble; 10 people show up. I loaned my car to complete strangers last year when the came in for the night; i felt obligated. I don't see the same amongst the power boat community.

Yet; i read the daily sailor news and keep tabs on the AC circuit and other big races. I have met some of these dedicated racers. They seem distant to the common sailor i know in the marina. Maybe its the formula 1 driver vs the chevy driver.
Every time i meet a long distance voyager/cruiser i see the humility within them; Because they have seen something that rarely very few ever see, danger. It the same look i see amongst those that have been to the battlefield a few times.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook