SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?

Daves advice is good advice, especially for those who want to go straight through and avoid any inlets and dont mind sailing at night. Hihs route is straightforeward and bent on a fast passage and delivery. I have done his route numerous times.

The anchorage behind Cape Henlopen breakwater is a good one. Not really wind protected as much as protected from seas and chop. If you choose that route you will have to still traverse the Delaware Bay opening which can get rough with wind oppposing current.

We have found it easier to go aorund the tip of Cape May and go into the harbor and anchor off of the Coast Gaurd Station. Its about 10 miles shorter and you dont have to worry about crossing the Delaware entrance the next day. If you need an extra day to wait out weather I would rather be in the Cape May harbor. As was posted by Jon the close in route through the Cape May Channel was not affected by Sandy. That choice is 6 of one, half dozen of another.

Most of the time we are on vacation so stopping in Cape May is one of our many stops which we truly enjoy. On our way back from the LI Sound we always allocate a couple of days there. Cape May has great shops for the wives, great restaurants, and great beaches.

There is a lot to be said for the straight through runs Dave mentioned too as you dont have to worry about the inlets. He as a delivery Captain is more likely to push his schedule than most. It also depends on your crew, boat, how well they react to being out in the ocan at night etc. He is right on about the Worton to Cape May/ Cape Henlopen passages. Play those currents to your advantage no matter what distance/ hours you feel comfortable about traveling each day.

One trip with friends I was crew the Captain insisted on " fighting" the current. Since I was crew I of course aquessed to his wishes as he was in charge and there was no danger in what he was doing. I will tell you the damn "nuke" plant in Salem was visable for over 8 hours that day and didnt seem to move as we plodded our way down the Delaware. I really got a lot of sleep that day I will say.

If your destination is at the end of the Sound or further up in New England, and have the crew or are able to do it, I would forgo the NJ coast and head direct from Cape May to Block Island which is 36 hours.

If you dont mind taking your time, seeing scenic parts like anchorages Barneget, Atkantic Highlands, experiencing the East River and Manhattan then hop up the coast and the great towns along the LI Sound...... If you are hell bent on getting there...go straight through. You know what fits you, your crew and your boat best. These are the best laid out alternatives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook