SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Correct. This discussion isn't any different than the one we could have regarding roller furling headsails. 40 years ago. Now it's just accepted. I have it on my boat. I am not sure how many hank on headsails I've swapped out but its alot. Same with foil.

Really light badass shoes can help you jump higher and maybe snag the occasional extra rebound- but they won't help you dribble. In 20 years the fundamentals of sailing will not have changed. We will still be shaping airfoils to bend the wind to our whim. When a rudder starts to cavitate or stall you will still be able to wag the tiller or wheel and get water flowing over it again. The autopilot- maybe it'll know that buy then, maybe not.

So, while having systems that augment or compliment your own abilities does contribute to an overall increase in seamanship- I remain of the position that it must all be founded on a solid basis of fundamentals- and that joystick docking isn't that solid foundation.

Last edited by c. breeze; 03-25-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook