SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

C. Breeze-guess I see it another way. I see virtually no US boats on Paulo's thread. As the fishing industry dies in my neck of the woods more habor space is turned into condos, fewer areas to anchor/moor and more finger slips filled with Grand Banks and the like. I think anything that gets folks on the water in sailboats is a good thing. I think it's fun to show some one how to use their mooring lines and fore or aft power to move their bow or stern off the fuel dock. Think if we can get folks to appreciate the joy of sailing as time goes on they will use the dock and go progressively less as they enjoy the sense of accomplishment of bringing the boat in without it more. Think the right approach is to be more enclusive so we remain relevent when the various powers that be look at the services we use and we maintain a vibrant market to foster the industry that serves us.
P.S.- My package works well without aid. But embarressing those who need help is unkind in my view. I intentionally sized my boat so that I could run everything when the power fails but having power on all my winches means my admiral can single while I sleep. I think to whatever extent we can be enclusive, open to new sailors of all ages and abilities and openly non judgmentally share knowledge and skill it is good for all of us.