SailNet Community - View Single Post - Average number of months for a sailboat to sell
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Average number of months for a sailboat to sell

My experience has been that "market" averages are pretty meaningless. Getting an average time for reasonably similar market segment boats would be useful - how long do Huntabenelinas stay unsold for example.

If you just look at the market as a whole, individual boats vary so much, so many have a very small target market and so forth that general averaging isn't very meaningful.

Look at Brent's comment about 2 years for steel hardcore cruising boats - very limited market so you have to wait for the right person to come along.

Outdated racing boats also - you have to wait for just the right person - the "average" buyer is unlikely to be interested.

I also think the overall average would be pretty heavily affected by unrealistic vendors trying to sell near project boats for bristol prices. When I do an average of asking prices for a particular boat I'm looking at, I throw out the top & bottom prices before calculating the average. That tends to eliminate the dreamers and the real trash.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook