SailNet Community - View Single Post - Young liveaboard after Navy
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Young liveaboard after Navy

Bene, you stole my thunder, but I'll say it anyway - thank you to both Chuck and you for your service. We are a better country for it!

Sea Salt, I think you've gotten some good advice. Next you'll have to manage your expectations - are you expecting to buy a $5,000 boat, a $25,000 boat, or a $200,000 boat? Do you understand what each of those pricepoints (or whatever your desired/expected pricepoint) will buy you in a boat? Over the 4 years you think you'll be in, the math needed to hit that savings level works out very differently for each of those scenarios. Figure out what it will take each month to meet your expected savings, then look into how much you'll get paid each month (remember to subtract out taxes), and what you'll be left with once you set aside your boat money. What kind of lifestyle will that buy you? Are you OK with that? Those are very personal questions, and I can't answer them for you. If you REALLY want this, it may well be worth the sacrifice it takes. And, if you wind up changing your mind, you'll have a nice little nest egg to buy a car, or house, or... But, as Chuck and Bene said, you'll have to be disciplined, and having been your age (a long time ago), that can be very difficult, especially when a pretty girl comes along (and especially if she isn't as into the whole living-aboard-a-sailboat idea).

Once you're out and you have your boat, your next issue will be maintenance and slip fees. You'll either need a job for those (intentionally living off any kind of unemployment is, IIRC, a crime) or additional savings. In the end, it may still be cheaper than an apartment.

I'm not saying its right, not saying its wrong, just suggesting a framework by which you can evaluate the implications for you and your life. If you understand (as much as anyone can really understand) what you're in for and you're still willing to make the commitment, then it sounds like some of what you want isn't out of the question.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook