SailNet Community - View Single Post - Average number of months for a sailboat to sell
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Average number of months for a sailboat to sell

Paul,
I heard the same thing from would-be sellers, and walked away too. Many private sellers don't have a rational basis for the price they use. Instead, it is based on emotional issues associated with the boat. They look at what a friends boat sold for 10 years ago, or what they paid for the Boat or the accessories on the boat, or what friends tell them their boat should be worth, but they don't use resources like NADA or BoatUS. Unfortunately, as with any realestate transaction, the price is what a willing buyer will pay. Either you set the price high and hope for that willing buyer who will pay that price, or you set the price at a more reasonable price and attract more buyers.

In the end, despite the protestations of sellers, the NADA and BoatUS numbers seem to be pretty accurate. I believe BoatUS actually gets their numbers from the insurance policies that they write and comes from the buyers as to what they paid for the boat. I think that puts BoatUS in the best position to be able to judge the market.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 03-26-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Fixing Siri-induced issues
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook