SailNet Community - View Single Post - Canadians: Station License or not?
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 03-25-2013
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,889
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 12
Re: Canadians: Station License or not?

Under international regulations, you must have both an operators permit and a station license -- even for VHF -- if you travel to other countries OR if you communicate with a foreign-flagged vessel. The operators permit and the station license may cover all types of transmitting equipment if you've checked all the boxes. Once you have these credentials, you need nothing further to use the equipment abroad, i.e., on the high seas or even within the territorial waters of a foreign country.

If you have a ham license, you can use a ham station almost anywhere (portable, fixed, airplane, boat, motorcycle, etc.) within your own country and on the high seas. In the territorial waters of another country, you require some sort of reciprocal license. The requirements are sometimes covered by international agreements between countries, granting either automatic or semi-automatic reciprocal privileges. Where there are no reciprocal agreements, you must obtain a license issued by the foreign country, following whatever steps they require.

In the U.S. -- and apparently in Canada from the cited regulation -- you do not require any sort of license for VHF/marine use exclusively in your own country.

You DO require an both an operators permit and a station license for marine SSB operation and for certain other transmitting equipment.

The USCG is aware of these regs and, increasingly, is paying attention now that the FCC has essentially abdicated responsibility, mainly because of budgetary cuts going back some years now.



Last edited by btrayfors; 03-25-2013 at 05:44 PM.
btrayfors is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome