SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Cruising Dad as always you make very cogent and valuable points. Think you're right our skill sets are rusty and it is worthwhile to do DR exercises (think it would be fun).Perhaps even do a sight reduction.( just a easy one like lower limb of the moon-grin). The set up of reefing systems should reflect the needs of that specific vessel. I had a scary time so don't feel secure with in mast. View that sense of security (I can handle this) as a safety issue . Know some people swear by them and it does allow powering up a reefed main. Jon is right about the increase in vulnerablity with these increasingly complex systems. Hell beyond changing the oil can't even work on my truck any more. Did both an LAN (wireless) and hard wired system for key coponents of the nav-system. But gotta tell you the wireless remote for the autopilot is gonna be a great toy. It would scare me to have fly by wire as the sole system on a boat. But see it being on vehicles even motorcycles from my understanding. Technology is pervasive. Wonder to what degree it truly improve the quality of ours lives. Wonder about the proverbial ship and star to steer by.