SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

I learned my lesson on impact simply, when rock climbing; I got up from belaying someone while forgetting I was loosely anchored. You only do that once. It was like hitting a brick wall with my hip. I have never suggested, even in jest, that a sailor take a running start against 6 feet of tether because I don't want to be responsible for the injury.

I like this thinking, the idea of the snubber. However, there is a reason neither OSHA not climbers use that design; while it would give perhaps 4-8 inches at a steadily increasing resistance, the screamer can extend several feet at a steady resistance. It simply won't absorb enough energy. But I like the line of thinking and hope someone explores it. There might be a good compromise answer. Personally, I think the compromise would be a shorter screamer-type construction, since the energy absorption requirement is perhaps 50%. This could be quite inexpensive, replaceable like a fuse, and they would VERY rarely trigger, not in most sailor's lifetime's.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook