SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
post #154 of Old 03-25-2013
pdqaltair

Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

I learned my lesson on impact simply, when rock climbing; I got up from belaying someone while forgetting I was loosely anchored. You only do that once. It was like hitting a brick wall with my hip. I have never suggested, even in jest, that a sailor take a running start against 6 feet of tether because I don't want to be responsible for the injury.

I like this thinking, the idea of the snubber. However, there is a reason neither OSHA not climbers use that design; while it would give perhaps 4-8 inches at a steadily increasing resistance, the screamer can extend several feet at a steady resistance. It simply won't absorb enough energy. But I like the line of thinking and hope someone explores it. There might be a good compromise answer. Personally, I think the compromise would be a shorter screamer-type construction, since the energy absorption requirement is perhaps 50%. This could be quite inexpensive, replaceable like a fuse, and they would VERY rarely trigger, not in most sailor's lifetime's.

Writing full-time since 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome