SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
But gotta tell you the wireless remote for the autopilot is gonna be a great toy...
It is, I wouldn't want to be without mine... If yours is by Raymarine, however, a word of caution is in order...

My S100 is powered by a pair of AAA batteries... If they go dead while the autopilot is in AUTO mode, it will switch the unit into STANDBY... Could result in big trouble, if you're not aware of it, and my owner's manual from Raymarine makes no mention whatsoever of this possiblilty...

Furthermore, there is no easy way to turn it off, it will only do so automatically if the pilot is in STANDBY mode for a few minutes... To avoid having to do that, I simply open the back cover and disconnect one of the batteries...

I've never used the more expensive and presumably more capable S1000, perhaps they've improved on some of these design flaws...

Great gadgets, however, no question about it... I would have killed for one on my last delivery south, some idiot had put the control head in an incredibly stupid location, very awkward to reach...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook