SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?

Quote:
Of course, all that is an entirely inaccurate stereotype to apply to the whole sailing community, of DIYers, adrenaline junkies, weekend warriors, liveaboards, bareboat charters, world cruisers, people that like it as a past-time and just want to relax on the water, families with a tradition vacation trip once a year, etc. And those people participate way more in the not-so-sport of sailing.

So to the outside world, who may only see Americas Cup ads or shiny fancy boat shows and events come to town with Rolex banners or a celebrity on a yacht in the Med, that's where the elitist marketing hits hard and they're influenced to presume, "Oh, those high-society yachties on their boats in their marinas and their Rolex's" - Some people want to be looked at that way, and will buy everything they can to appear that way, and that's how the cycle continues.
Well said.

It's to bad that to the general public they have the Rolex view of sailing. I think it hurts sailing as a whole just when sailors are trying to entice young sailors into the hobby.

Don't mis read this. I'm not against the America's Cup at all. More power to them; i just wonder if they could have gone about it a different way. I remember the big stink when they first came out with the plans for this AC.

Is it the right direction?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook