SailNet Community - View Single Post - do you carry an acoustic Guitar?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingthunder View Post
My Guitar came with an Ameritage case with their humidity abatement system, but not sure if it will keep up with the extremes of humidity you get on a boat.

I have used D'addario Phosphor bronze true mediums for awhile now, and love them. I did not like the Elixer strings, they felt like something was on them. Do the D'addario coated strings feel better?

I am comfortable with Truss rod adjustment, as I had to do it when I went up to mediums from lights. Just curious about humidity and weather and their affects on strings and wood.
Hi VT,
I can't speak to Ameritage's humidity abatement system I'm not familiar with it. (I'm an operations guy really..) I agree with your gut feel that there will be some serious swings of humidity on a boat. Definitely get an "in case hygrometer" so you can keep track. Planet Waves (a division of my company) as well as others make them. There's not a company on earth that will tell you that their humidity control system is bullet proof. A boat is a tough environment for a wooden instrument, but many have done it. It's very important to check your instrument regularly.

I'm glad you like our strings. The EXP line as compared to the Elixir's are generally considered to be more natural sounding and feeling, however both strings are coated and will feel different than the PB Strings (EJ17 perhaps?) that you like. D'Addario coats the wrap wire before winding but uses the same design as what you're used to, while Elixir coats the string after winding. The material properties of the coatings are completely different. Elixir makes a good product, damn good, just different than ours. It's really a preference thing. They sound and feel different.

Happy to answer any more questions to the best of my ability.

Craig
D'Addario and Co.
Avid sailor and player on the water....!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook